These cucumber sandwiches will be the prettiest snacks at the picnic or tea party! Delightful chive cream cheese and prosciutto sandwiches, topped with freshly sliced cucumber are such refreshing additions to any elegant afternoon tea menu! All you need is a square cookie cutter, apple peeler and kitchen scissors to make these perfect little edible presents!
I made these cucumber sandwiches for a Labor Day picnic with friends, and everyone loved them. I served them with Strawberry Pimm’s Cup cocktails, lavender lemon scones and pretty deviled eggs! With a 2” square cookie cutter, it’s so easy to cut the bread, and use as a little tool to keep everything nicely squared.
Although they’re very easy to make, they’re a little time-consuming, so just be sure to give yourself about 45 minutes to an hour to assemble them, before you’ll want to serve them. I also used whipped cream cheese which is easier to spread on the small breads to make the process quicker and “smoother.”
I chose chive whipped cream cheese, but you can use any flavor you like!
First, we’ll use a cookie cutter to make perfect bread squares and use an apple peeler to peel cucumber.
Next, we’ll add a little cream cheese to the bread, fold a square of prosciutto and place it on the slice.
Then, we’ll place another slice of bread on top, and a little more cream cheese.
Finally, we’ll add a little more cream cheese to another slice, place the cucumber on top, and trim it perfectly around the edges.
How to Make Cucumber Sandwiches – Step by Step
1. Use a 2” square cookie cutter to cut square slices out of white bread.
2. Repeat until you have 24 bread slices.
3. Use an apple peeler to peel thin layers of cucumber. Peel at least half of the cucumber. Set aside.
4. Smear whipped chive cream cheese in a thin layer on one slice. Cut a slice of prosciutto into 4 pieces. Fold one of the slices to fit on the bread slice, without folding over the edges.
5. Smear cream cheese on another slice, and place it cream cheese-side down on top of the prosciutto.
6. Smear a little more cream cheese on top, then use kitchen scissors to cut a cucumber slice in half. Then, place 2 slices on top. Slice around the edges to fit perfectly.
I found mine on Amazon. I use the 2-inch square for sandwiches, cookies and appetizers!
Make them only 1 to 2 hours before serving. The bread will start to get a little damp after being refrigerated with cream cheese and cucumber for too long.
I use these clear bins with latches. I lay the sandwiches carefully into the bin on the bottom, then cover with cellophane. To keep them from shaking around, I add a tea towel on top, and close the lid.
A Few Tips
1. I don’t suggest trying to use kitchen scissors to cut the bread if you don’t have a cookie cutter. If the slices are sized even a little bit differently, they look a little messy. Make sure to find a nice cookie cutter to get those perfect edges.
2. If you would like a substitute for cream cheese, give these a try:
- baba ghanoush
- whipped avocado
- whipped feta
- Boursin cheese
- triple cream cheese
- goat cheese
For more inspiration, subscribe to my newsletter, follow me on Instagram, on Pinterest, tiktok and Facebook! And if you ever make any of my tasty drinks or treats, take a picture and tag me. I want to see!
More Picnic Recipe Inspiration
Easy, Pretty Cucumber Sandwiches
- 1 2" cookie cutter
- 1 pair kitchen scissors
- 1 apple peeler
- 1 loaf white bread
- 7.5 oz. whipped chive cream cheese
- 1 cucumber – you'll only require about half
- 3 slices prosciutto – or more if you want to double it up
- Use a 2” square cookie cutter to cut square slices out of white bread. Repeat until you have 24 slices.
- Use an apple peeler to peel thin layers of cucumber. Peel at least half of the cucumber. Set aside.
- Smear whipped chive cream cheese in a thin layer on one slice. Cut a slice of prosciutto into 4 pieces. Fold one of the slices to fit on the bread slice, without folding over the edges.
- Smear cream cheese on another slice, and place it cream cheese-side down on top of the prosciutto.
- Smear a little more cream cheese on top, then use kitchen scissors to cut a cucumber slice in half. Then, place 2 slices on top. Slice around edges to fit perfectly.
Leave a Reply