This Autumn In New York cocktail is essentially a Manhattan with a very important autumn-spiced substitute.
This cocktail contains Sorel Liqueur, a bright red Hibiscus liqueur, spiced with Brazilian clove, Indonesian cassia and nutmeg, and Nigerian ginger! A perfect cocktail for chilly autumn nights by the fire, or elegant Thanksgiving or Halloween parties.
I absolutely love Sorel cocktails! Quite simply, this cocktail is a Manhattan with Sorel Liqueur in place of sweet vermouth. Sorrel (with an extra “R”) is the Jamaican name for a type of Hibiscus flower also known as Roselle.
I find it works perfectly for any fall or winter cocktails because the spices used in its recipe are flavors we use all through the chilly seasons.
The notes of clove, nutmeg, ginger, and cassia (similar to cinnamon) can turn just about any traditional cocktail into an autumny-wintery one! It’s not overwhelming and doesn’t overpower a nice whisky. It just adds a delicate spice and sweetness.
Personally, even though I love Manhattans just the way they are, I like to add about ½ teaspoon of Luxardo cherry syrup to this cocktail to add a little more cherry sweetness, but this is just a preference.
If you have any trouble finding Sorel, its website has a handy section on where to find it.
How to Make This Cocktail Step-by-Step
1. In a cocktail shaker with ice, pour 2 ounces rye whisky.
2. Pour 1 ounce Sorel Liqueur.
3. Add about 3-4 shakes of Angostura Aromatic Bitters.
4. Shake vigorously, and garnish with a Luxardo maraschino cherry.
A Few More Autumn Cocktails
For more inspiration, subscribe to my newsletter, and follow me on Instagram, on Pinterest, tiktok, and Facebook! And if you ever make any of my tasty drinks or treats, take a picture and tag me. I want to see!
Autumn in New York Cocktail
- 1 cocktail shaker – with ice
- 2 oz. rye whisky
- 1 oz. Sorel Liqueur
- 3 shakes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 1 Luxardo maraschino cherry
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, pour 2 ounces rye whisky and 1 ounce Sorel Liqueur. Add 3-4 shakes of Angostura Aromatic Bitters and shake vigorously. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and serve.