This coleslaw with fennel and carrot is such a surprising addition to any burger, sandwich, hot dog or just as a side dish. With a licorice, anise flavor, crunch of carrot and tangy dill zing, you can make any BBQ staple extra tasty!
I always like taking old standards and sprucing them up a bit. This coleslaw is a great example. It’s not just tasty, it gussies up a boring burger so easily.
All you need is a food processor to chop your ingredients, and some cheese cloth to squeeze out excess moisture from the chopped fennel. Once your fennel is chopped, you’ll want to let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow its juices to release.
When it’s ready, simply add it to cheese cloth and squeeze out the juice. If you don’t do this step, your slaw will be a bit too mushy.
This coleslaw is awesome on burgers and sliders! I also love it on grilled bratwursts. I like to throw a few on the grill and spoon a mountain of this on top! Bratwursts are always tastiest with some mustard, and the dill mustard in this recipe is such a perfect addition.
A Little Summer Recipe Inspiration
Homemade Coleslaw with Fennel and Carrot
- food processor
- mixing bowl
- 1 fennel bulb – medium-large
- 1 carrot – small
- 1 tsp. dill mustard
- 1 tsp. mayo
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and cut away the fronds from the bulb. Save and finely chop about a tablespoon of the fronds to mix into your slaw.
- Chop your fennel into small pieces to fit in a food processor. Pulse until nicely chopped. Make sure not to chop too much. You don’t want it to be mush.
- Remove chopped fennel and let sit in a bowl for about 5 minutes. It will begin to release fennel juice.
- Chop and process 1 small carrot.
- Spoon fennel into cheese cloth and squeeze out as much juice as you can. Place in a mixing bowl with chopped carrot.
- Add mustard, mayo, sugar and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.